Fans are claiming whitewashing at the decison to cast Scarlett Johansson in the role of Motoko Kusanagi in the upcoming live action adaption of the Ghost in the Shell manga comics.
Sadly, it's not the first time Hollywood has been accused of overlooking minority actors in favour of big name white stars. Just last year, Emma Stone appeared as part-Asian character Alison Ng in Cameron Crowe's Aloha.
Amid the ongoing Oscars diversity row both on and off screen you'd think casting crews would be making less tone-deaf choices - but apparently not, if these recent films starring white actors in ethnic roles are anything to go by:
1. Eben Olemaun in 30 Days of Night (2007)Photo: Nick B.
Played by Josh Hartnett, the character of Eben is of Inuit descent.
2. Goku in Dragonball: Evolution (2009)Photo: dbofchannel
Justin Chatwin played the role of Goku, who is a Japanese character from the Japanese manga. The only Japanese actor was the love interest. Figures.
3. Dastan in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)Photo: Disney Movie Trailers
Dastan is Iranian. Jake Gyllenhaal however, is not.
4. Hae-Joo Chang in Cloud Atlas (2012)Photo: Warner Bros Pictures
Jim Sturgess actually wore prosthetics and yellowface to play the part of a Korean character.
5. Michael Jackson in Elizabeth, Michael and Maron (2016)Photo: Larry Busacca/Getty
Joseph Fiennes, by his own admission, is a "white middle-class guy" who played the iconic black artist.
6. Basically everyone in Aang: The Last Airbender (2010)Photo: Clevver Movies
Based on the cartoon series, Katara, Aang and Sokka are all based on Inuit people and culture. Incidentally, the only non-white main character is played by Dev Patel, who is the villain.
7. Jeffrey Ma in 21 (2008)Photo: 21 Movie's Channel
Jeffrey Ma is a real life MIT card counter and an American of Chinese descent. He was played by British actor Jim Sturgess.
8. Noah in Noah (2014)Photo: ClassicTrailerZone
The biblical figure originates from the Middle East. He was played by Russell Crowe.
9. Mariane Pearl in A Mighty Heart (2007)Photo: Paramount Movies
Based on the real-life journalist, Mariane is of Chinese-Afro-Cuban descent. Angelina Jolie reportedly darkened her skin and curled her hair for the role, as well as wore brown contact lenses.
10. Moses in Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)Photo: 20th Century Fox
According to the Hebrew Bible, Moses was an Egyptian prince. In the movie he is played by Christian Bale.