With school holidays well under way, the world’s most prestigious museums and galleries are preparing for a bumper August as tourists pour in. Here's how to beat the queues:
1. Travel to unusual exhibitions and galleries off the beaten track – there is much more to the cultural scene than just blockbuster shows.
2. Get up early or go when the galleries open late, as it is always less busy at both ends of the day. There are often pre-bookable slots and it is worth aiming for weekdays where possible.
3. Become a member of your favourite museum as there are often special openings of the biggest exhibitions.
4. Set yourself a time limit for your benefit and that of other visitors.
5. Take water and a hand fan to keep you going if things do get hot, bothered and busy.
6. Check out outdoor alternatives, such as sculpture parks and popup venues.