Ours is the generation of Twitter, Miley Cyrus and selfie sticks. However, there are still some quintessential parts of growing up that (mostly) don't include popular culture.
Here are some things everyone should do before they become a proper adult:
1. Gone on a day trip to somewhere you haven’t been beforePhoto by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
Take a trip to Middle Wallop. or Rainbow Bottom (actual place names).
2. Dressed up in costume and gone to a theme parkPhoto by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images for Nickelodeon
Going to Thorpe Park as Rafael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? Yes.
3. Volunteered abroadPhoto by Kiyoshi Ota/Getty Images
Some call it a ‘gap yah’ others call it a mission: whatever you call it, do it.
4. Eaten something weirdPhoto by Philippe Lopez/AFP/Getty Images
Grilled tarantula anyone? Battered crickets? Deep-fried Mars Bar?
5. Partied all nightPicture: Matt Cardy/Getty Image
It's a rite of passage.
6. Followed a trendPicture: Alexander Utkin/AFP/Getty Images
Think growing a beard or dip-dyeing your hair.
7. Done something terrifyingPicture: Global Action Sports via Getty Images
Scared of public speaking? Recite poetry. Scared of heights? Skydive. Do something so frightening your legs shake.
8. Treated your family to dinnerPicture: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire/Press Association Images
By now you should have a job, and it's a great feeling to be able to treat your family to dinner. It doesn't have to be pricey, just delicious!
9. Crowd surfedPicture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images
If you don't know, get to know.
10. Stayed the night some place weird/hipsteryPhoto by Matt Cardy/Getty Images
11. Learned a different language
Ours is the global generation, and if there's one thing that encompasses every new experience on this list, it's learning a new language.
Don't worry if you haven't done some of these, now's the chance to do so. After all, the second milestone is 25, so get to it!