New York's smallest private property is about the same size as a slice of pizza. Well ok, not just any slice of pizza - the city's largest slice of pizza. But still.
According to this article on [Atlas Obscura]2, the triangle's history begins in 1910 when 300 buildings were condemned to demolition by the local authority to make way for an extension of the subway system.
A certain David Hess, however, had other ideas. He refused to give in to local domain laws for years until he was finally forced to give up his property.
By 1914, all that was left of his apartment block was a 500-square-inch concrete triangle and out of principle, Mr Hess refused to give it up, instead paving over the triangle with his own mosaic design... which remains to this day.
So here's to Mr Hess for sticking it to the man.