Despite leaps and bounds in technology, translating texts from one language to another still requires input from someone who speaks both the language you're translating from, and the language you're translating to.
Presenter and director Richard Osman’s daughter is in China, and she’s been sending him some…creative English translations.
Osman tweeted his favourite, and people sent him ones they've seen too.
1. Potato groping is forbidden in China
2. This map assumes you are omnipresent
3. A French holiday apartment lets you play with your ‘private part’ so long as it doesn’t compromise the solidarity of the building…
4. Thailand’s Ikea – inspired dish
5. These uneducated bean sprouts from Beijing
6. Shanghai’s criminal dried bamboo shoot
7. This time-travelling sign from Turkey
8. These unfortunate mushrooms
9. This chicken
10. Mind-blowing water
11. This Taken scenario
12. These weird toilets
13. This bit of romance
14. This delicious-sounding dish