With the deadline for online tax returns looming, HM Revenue and Customs has released its annual list of the 10 worst excuses people have given for filing or paying their tax return late.
1. My pet dog ate my tax return... and all the reminders.
2. I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a postbox or get an internet signal.
3. I fell in with the wrong crowd.
4. I’ve been travelling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency.
5. Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.
6. I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.
7. A work colleague borrowed my tax return, to photocopy it, and didn’t give it back.
8. I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park.
9. My girlfriend’s pregnant.
10. I was in Australia.
More: The worst excuses Russia has given for its forces being in Ukraine