If you needed a reminder that 2015 had been an at times dark and disturbing year, then look no further than the shortlist for the Time Person of the Year award.
Time has been naming a Person of the Year since 1927, awarding it to those who have had the greatest impact on humanity - for good or for evil - in any given year.
Previous recipients have ranged from Adolf Hitler to Martin Luther King, Jr. Last year it was given to 'Ebola fighters'.
Bear the above in mind when we tell you the eight-strong shortlist for 2015:
1. Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, the leader of Isis
2. Black Lives Matter activists
3. Caitlyn Jenner, former athlete and TV personality
4. Travis Kalanick, Uber CEO
5. Angela Merkel, German chancellor
6. Vladimir Putin, Russian president
7. Hassan Rouhani, Iranian president
8. Donald Trump, would-be US president
Who do you think should win?
The Time Person of the Year will be revealed on Wednesday morning US time.