Do not dare settle for a lame, last-minute costume if you're in Japan for Halloween.
In Japan, the festival is a billion-dollar celebration of dressing to the extremes of freaky, the limits of cute and the end of your overdraft.
As huge costume parties light up the streets of Japanese cities and gory monsters squeeze onto public transport, here is the best of the fun.
1. There are unlikely line-ups filling the streets
2. The food gets into the scary spirit more than some people in the rest of the world
3. But Halloween is no excuse to eat unhealthily in Japan
4. Starbucks getting involved was inevitable, wasn't it?
5. They realise Harry Potter and Halloween just match
6. Face paint is taken very seriously
7. Some of the costumes are simply beautiful
8. Whilst others are terrifying
9. Sometimes looks are a little too realistic
10. Like, do you need some help?
11. Please don't hurt me
12. The celebrations are huge
13. And nowhere is completely safe