What are you doing February 16? If it’s important, you might want to move it up a few days.
Last year, Nasa spotted a giant object thundering through space towards us. Spanning somewhere between 0.3 to 0.6 miles in size, it was given the catchy monicker of ‘2016 WF9’.
But before you do any undue panicking, Nasa have said that it will pass us safely by on 25 February, by a distance of about 32 million miles. Phew.
But because we are now living in the era of fake news, many people feel like they can't trust the media... Or even the good folks over at Nasa.
Enter rogue Russian astronomer named Dr Dyomin Damir Zakharovich, who says he thinks the space agency is lying to us, and we’re all in mortal danger.
The object they call WF9 left the Nibiru system in October when Nibiru began spinning counter clockwise around the sun. Since then, Nasa has known it will hit Earth. But they are only telling people now.
If the asteroid hit Earth, he says, it could destroy cities or cause a tsunami. We are all in peril.
Zakharovich thinks the object will actually hit us on 16 February, a week earlier than the date that Nasa say it will pass us by.
His conspiracy doesn’t stop there though. Zakharovich is a believer in the existence of a planet called ‘Nibiru’ (sometimes dubbed ‘Planet X’), supposedly located on the edge of our solar system, which will itself will hit the Earth in October.
Nasa, however, aren’t having any of that.
Nibiru and other stories about wayward planets are an internet hoax. Obviously, it does not exist.
And just to put your mind at ease, here’s their official line on 2016 WF9:
The trajectory of 2016 WF9 is well understood, and the object is not a threat to Earth for the foreseeable future.
We're probably going to trust Nasa over the lone conspiracy theorist this time, tbh.
HT: Mail Online