Join the news democracyWhere your votes decide the Top 100
Around this time last year, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad launched the final assaultonAleppo.
Today, we can reflect on what the city looked like before the deadly conflict.
From bullet-strewn streets to collapsed hospitals and hotels, this is what Aleppo looked like before the war.
1. Hotel Carlton - Al Qalaa Street
2. The Plaza
3. Old Aleppo markets
4. Shabba Mall - Izaz Road
5. Umayyad Mosque - Hawl Al Qalaa St
6. Street leading to the Citadel of Aleppo
7. Hotel Dar-Zamaria
8. The plaza in front of the Citadel of Aleppo.
9. Municipal Palace
10. The Maronite Church
11. The plaza in front of the grand mosque
12. Dar Al-Ifta in Aleppo
13. Kindi Hospital
15. A tourist hotel
16. Citadel of Aleppo
17. A restuarant outside the Citadel
18. Aleppo Chamber of Industry
19. Beit Wakil
20. Facilities at Yarmouk Athletic Club
21. Aleppo’s Forty Martyrs church
Photo credits: Olympia Restuaurant and Getty
More: If you're appalled by what's going on in Aleppo here are six ways you can help