A daycare has been shut down after a child was put through a clothes dryer.
The unnamed Michigan daycare was stripped of its license after a child put another child in a clothes dryer and turned it on. The woman who owned the daycare did not tell the child’s parents.
According to the Michigan Department of Licensing of Regulatory Affairs (LARA), the woman brought the child described only as a Minor Household Member 1 (MHM 1), to the hospital because she was “stressed out” because MHM 1 had put another child in the clothes dryer and turned it on.
“MHM 1” later admitted to a nurse and social worker that she did, in fact, put another child in the dryer and turn it on.
The child who was placed in the dryer told her mother about the incident and said that it was “hot, and it was dark and hurt my back.”
The daycare owner did not tell the child’s parents or report the incident to LARA. LARA states that the woman failed to “provide truthful and accurate information to the department during an investigation.”
“It was critical to take emergency action to protect the health, welfare, and safety of the children at this family child care home,” LARA said in an official statement.
The statement also includes that the woman has been found in violation of the Child Care Organizations act, citing “lack of appropriate care and supervision” and “suitability and conduciveness to the welfare of children.”
As of November 3rd, the woman is no longer allowed to operate a daycare.