Why people are marching against austerity: These are the biggest Tory cuts so far (and the worst is yet to come)

Tens of thousands of people are today expected to take part in the End Austerity Now march in London.

The People's Assembly, which is organising the protests against government cuts, said the rally would be the start of a campaign of "strikes, direct action and civil disobedience" across the UK.

We will not rest until austerity is history, our services are back in public hands and the needs of the majority are put first.

  • Sam Fairbairn of the People's Assembly

Last year, the Office for Budget responsibility revealed that only 40 per cent of the cuts planned by George Osborne had been made under the coalition - effectively meaning the remaining 60 per cent would be made in this parliament by 2020.

In other words, the worst is yet to come.

With that in mind, here's what has already been cut by the last government:

Police

More than 1,000 police community support officer (PCSO) jobs have been cut in England each year since 2010, a total of 4,430 positions, according to Home Office statistics analysed by Unison. PCSOs make up 75 per cent of neighbourhood policing teams. The BBC reports the number of police officers currently employed across England and Wales is 127,000 – the lowest since September 2001.

Keep reading...Show less
Please log in or register to upvote this article
The Conversation (0)