We've all been there. Staring longingly at your phone, putting it facedown in a vain attempt to stop checking it, mentally going through all the life-and-death scenarios which are definitely likely reasons bae hasn't text you back.
Well we have good news: those days could be behind you if you follow these tips from dating columnist "Dr Nerdlove" and online dating coach Patrick King, as told to LifeHacker:
1. The 'play it cool by waiting two days to reply' gimmick doesn't work
- Text the sooner the better.
2. Don't just say 'hi'
- It might be harmless but a one word text shows the recipient you haven't put time and effort into talking to them.
3. Send texts with purpose, ie making plans
- Too much online rather than in person interaction can leave IRL meetings lacking spark.
4. Don't be pushy
- Wait at least a day to send another text if they're not getting back to you.
5. Grammar and spelling are important
- Again - paying attention to your language shows you care.
6. Know when to stop
- If they're not responding, send something that doesn't necessitate an answer to see if they still want to chat. One unreturned text isn't a big deal, two means they could be busy, but three means you need to move on.
Read a comprehensive list over on Lifehacker