The London ExCeL refuses to let an adult exhibition from taking place

Greg Evans
Friday 01 December 2017 14:00
news
Picture:(change.org)

The ExCeL centre in London has reportedly banned an adult entertainment convention from taking place in its venue.

Sexpo International began life in Australia in 1996 and has given people the opportunity to discuss and explore their interests, be it sexual or non-sexual, ever since.

The exhibition has visited all of Australia's capital cities and will make its debut in America next year.

However, the ExCeL centre, which is based in London's Dockland's district have reportedly turned down the adult exhibition, leaving organisers looking for other options.

A petition has now been set up by Sexpo via Change.org, with the hope that this decision can be overturned.

The Change.org petition claims that James Campion, Head of Exhibition Sales at ExCeL told Sexpo organisers:

Thanks for your recent emails and calls, and apologies for the slow response on my part.

Having spoken with our Board it has been agreed that unfortunately we are not in a position to proceed with your enquiry and whilst I appreciate you are not asking for firm dates, we are not in a position to progress with the profile.

David Ross, the event organiser and the person who contacted ExCeL reportedly wrote this in response:

Thanks for getting back to me James, although I think the arbitrary dismissal of our enquiry is rather disappointing, if not extraordinary.

We are an internationally recognised brand and operate in Government owned venues around the world.

We suffered the same discrimination in the early years in Australia, but, as I have pointed out to you previously, all major venues now accept us as a major event, while we regularly attract crowds of 60,000.

I do hope you will reconsider your position and respond so that I might have a chance to explain to you the mainstream nature of our events.

Ross goes on to add the Sexpo have also tried to obtain membership of the London Chamber of Commerce but have received no response.

According to Ross, Sexpo received similar problems when they tried to host their event at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre in 1996, but were accepted once the venue saw the event at another location.

It has been held in the venue every year from then on and has also been accepted at the ICC Sydney, despite similar reservations.

Veteran porn star Madison Messina thinks it is unfortunate the ExCeL has taken this stance as the event can be a helpful experience for some.

She told the Daily Mail Australia:

I think it's sad because it holds people back.

There's not a lot of opportunities for women to step up and have some freedom and be selfish for a moment and look after themselves.

We're just teaching people to love themselves and do what they want.

I spend most of my time at Sexpo speaking to women about how to be free and how to manage themselves and stand up for themselves.

Indy100 have contacted ExCeL.

HT Change.org

More: The organisers of the infamous Colombian 'sex holiday' are now planning a secret New Year's party

Trending