'John you're on fire!': TV chef oblivious as towel goes up in flames in live cooking segment

James Besanvalle
Tuesday 28 April 2020 10:30
news

A TV chef had no idea he accidentally left a tea towel on an open flame while he was cooking from home in a live This Morning segment.

Celebrity chef John Torode was preparing homemade McMuffins when he threw his towel down on the stove and then turned his back on it to continue talking to Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield.

As the 54-year-old chef put muffins into his toaster, a fire began to rage behind him.

Willoughby shouted:

John, your tea towel’s on fire!

Schofield added:

John, behind you! Your cooker! You’re on fire!

Finally realising the error, Torode coolly turned around and said “thank you” as he picked up the towel and hurried it over to the sink.

As he carried it away, it began to fall to pieces before the chef turned the tap on to put the flame out.

A plume of smoke filled the kitchen as Torode opened the back door to let it out.

Unfortunately it was too late and his kitchen’s fire alarm started sounding.

As Torode quickly tried to turn it off, Schofield remarked:

Oh God, I love this show so much!

The TV chef is absolutely fine but the reaction to the incident sent social media into a giggling frenzy:

Lucky this chef could handle the heat.

Trending