Turning 20 and leaving behind your teens can be a stressful transition for everyone involved - not just the teen going through it.
TEDx speaker and stand up comic William Beteet has shared a few pearls of wisdom for all teens out there headed into their 20s.
1. Ask for Life Changing Opportunities Everyday - If you make it your goal to ask for a life changing opportunity everyday for you entire twenties, you will be years ahead of where you should be by age thirty.
2 .Get Amazing at Something - Whether it’s coding, graphic design, writing, etc. Spend everyday getting really good at something. This will give you a highly valuable skill by the end of your twenties which will give you a lot of career capital making negotiating with your boss a lot easier.
3 .Get Rid of Your TV - I got rid of my TV three years ago because I didn’t want to spend my twenties watching other people live.
4. Listen to Audiobooks While You Walk - Turn your daily commute into a classroom.
5. Stay Single - Date around, have flings, have relationships, but retain your freedom, you want to be able to make the best decisions for you in your twenties.
6. Learn Sales and Build a Network - By building a powerful network you will know people who can help/teach you how to get where you want to go. Learning sales will help you frame things in a way that will get people to buy into your vision.
7. Understand the Compound Effect - The cost of an average cup of coffee from Starbucks is $2.45 if you order that everyday for a year you would have spent $894.25, a round trip ticket from Chicago to Copenhagen cost $506. Understand that the unconscious decisions you make everyday are keeping you from living the life you dream of living.
8. Find/Create a Tribe of People who Have Similar Aspirations - A community of likeminded people will accelerate your growth and help keep you focused on achieving your goals.
9. Build an Online Following - Whether it’s a blog, podcast, Quora, Twitter, find some place to offer a large group of people value. You never know what kind of opportunities could become available from having a large social media following.
10. Keep Raising Your Standards - People’s lives stagnate because they stop raising the standard they hold themselves to.
11. Work Out, Dress Stylish, Eat Well - Being good looking is a social passport that can get you access to life changing opportunities.
12. Go on an Adventure - Make sure at least once in your twenties you go for a trip that’s long and rough, instead of hotels stay in hostels and sleep on couches. The more difficult the journey the more it will change you.
If you liked this answer and want to hear about my twenties check out my podcast The Lazy Philosopher!
This article originally appeared on Quora