At a time of social distancing, people are having to get a bit more creative with every aspect of their lives... including their faiths.
That's what Reverend Stephen Beach, from St Budeaux Parish Church in Plymouth was trying to do by recording a virtual sermon for his parishioners. Unfortunately all did not go to plan.
Towards the end of his service, the vicar got a little too close to the atmospheric candles he'd placed on his desk, and paused his sermon to exclaim:
Oh dear, I've just caught fire!
Not exactly what one expects during a religious service.
The clip was posted on Twitter by the vicar's niece Laura Evans, who found it all rather amusing.
My uncle is the vicar of St Budeaux Parish. Last night he gave his online sermon and things got a bit hot under the… https://t.co/62JY1JMVtM— Laura Evans - St Ives Mermaid (@Laura Evans - St Ives Mermaid) 1584729124
Don't worry though, no vicars were harmed in the making of these viral videos. It seems the reverent – cool as a cucumber – managed to put out the smoke with his bear hands. Evans confirms that he is absolutely fine, except for a small hole in his favourite "sermon jumper".
@PaulChahidi @revkatebottley @parishchurch A hole in his favourite sermon jumper but unharmed otherwise 😘— Laura Evans - St Ives Mermaid (@Laura Evans - St Ives Mermaid) 1584734354
People were very into the vicar's delightfully British response to catching fire.
@StIvesMermaid @revkatebottley @parishchurch The Brits are so chill. The rest of the world is like “stop-drop-and r… https://t.co/GZa2duwjFb— 𝒱𝒶𝓁𝑒𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝒶𝐵𝒶𝓁𝓁𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒶 🩰 (@𝒱𝒶𝓁𝑒𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝒶𝐵𝒶𝓁𝓁𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒶 🩰) 1584825279
@StIvesMermaid @revkatebottley @parishchurch This is hands down the most British reaction to BEING ON FIRE! 😂🤣🏆🇬🇧🔥— Fr. Lloyd Brown (@Fr. Lloyd Brown) 1584787075
The Church of England has closed all its London buildings after public worship was suspended across the country and replaced with online versions, and yesterday saw the first ever completely virtual Sunday Service led by the Archbishop of Canterbury (without incident, that we know of).
Everyone watch out for open flames while videoconferencing!