The streets of Paris were empty on Friday night after a state of emergency was declared following six separate terror incidents which have left at least 120 people dead.
Isis has claimed responsibility for the attack, which French President Francois Hollande confirmed in a statement on Saturday morning.
What we know so far:
The Bataclan concert hall, Stade de France sports stadium and several restaurants were the targets of the attack
Around 100 people were taken hostage by two attackers at the Bataclan before police stormed the building
At least 129 people were confirmed dead by French authorities, with 352 injured, 99 critically
It has been reported that six attackers killed themselves in suicide attacks and one was shot by police. One man has been identified as a French national and the AP says he was previously known to police. One body is thought to have belonged to a Syrian national who passed through Greece on the refugee route in October
There are unconfirmed reports that the attackers may have been as young as 15-18 years old
The Belgian Justice Ministry has said several arrests have been made in the country in connection with the French attacks
France has declared a state of emergency and has instated border checks for anyone trying to leave the country
The Eiffel Tower, Disneyland Paris and many other tourist attractions and public buildings have been ordered shut
Hollande has declared three days of mourning, calling Isis' actions an "act of war"
Far right Front National leader Marine Le Pen has used the incident to push her agenda of cutting immigration and increasing defence spending
World leaders have expressed sympathy and condemned the attacks. US president Barack Obama called it an "attack on all humanity"
British prime minister David Cameron has warned the UK to 'brace itself' as British casualties are expected to be among the dead
British citizen Nick Alexander, who sold merchandise for Eagles of Death Metal who were playing at the Bataclan, has been confirmed dead
Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Marr, the Home Secretary Theresa May said there were "lessons to be learnt from the attacks in Paris". While May did not confirm whether counter-terror troops have been flown in to a base in West London, she said there were measures in place to ensure military backing if police were in need
The French prime minister, Manuel Valls, said on Sunday that 103 bodies have so far been identified. He urged families with loved ones still missing to contact the authorities
Speaking after a meeting with President Hollande, Nicolas Sarkozy told reporters "We are at war... We need to drastically change our security policy"
A Syrian passport was found next to the body of a man who is thought to have attacked France's national stadium. French police said in a statement that the passport's owner, identified as AA, requested asylum in Serbia. Passport checks show he entered the country on 7 October from Macedonia
The EU has announced it is to hold an emergency summit on the Paris attacks next Friday
Reports suggest there will be a minute's silence held across Europe at 11am on Monday morning
Seven people have been detained by police, with French TV station BFM reporting that one suspect is still being sought in connection with the attacks
At least three of the seven attackers are thought to be French citizens
There are reports that French police were chasing four men in a Citroen Berlingo in north-west France headed towards Paris, but any connection to events in Paris yesterday has not been verified.