Picture:
Picture:
EPA/Twitter

The Duke of Edinburgh has apologised to a mother-of-two who was injured in a car crash he was involved in telling her that he is “deeply sorry”.

In a signed letter to Emma Fairweather, the 97-year-old Duke wished her “a speedy recovery” and that he was very “contrite about the consequences” of the crash.

He also suggested that the glare from the winter sun may have been to blame for the incident as he pulled out from a side road on to the A149 near the Sandringham estate in Norfolk on 17 January.

But after widespread criticism of Prince Philip and Buckingham Palace over the handling of the incident, some people have said that the apology is overdue.

The note, seen by the Sunday Mirror, is dated four days after the crash on 21 January but was received by Fairweather on 23 January.

Some people took to Twitter to express their concerns that the letter was "too little too late".

Others agreed that it was better that the apology came late than never.

But many defended the Duke, with some arguing that a letter of apology is not normal protocol in a car crash.

And some are just glad it appears the dispute is now over.

After receiving the letter, Fairweather told the Sunday Mirror she was "chuffed" with the note, adding:

I thought it was really nice that he signed off as 'Philip' and not the formal title. I was pleasantly surprised because of the personalised nature.

A lot of people said it was unrealistic that I wanted that human kindness from Prince Philip - which is what I saw this letter as.

Fairweather had previously complained that while the Queen, who had no involvement in the accident, had been in contact through a lady-in-waiting, she had not had any direct communication with the duke.

She also called the duke "highly insensitive and inconsiderate" after he was photographed less than 48 hours after the crash at the wheel of a replacement car without a seatbelt on.

HT Mirror

Keep reading...Show less
Please log in or register to upvote this article
The Conversation (0)