Uber passenger who coughed on driver and attacked him has finally handed herself into the police

Uber passenger who coughed on driver and attacked him has finally handed herself into the police

A woman who attacked and deliberately coughed at her Uber driver has handed herself in to the police.

A video showing Arna Kimiai, 24, tearing off her mask, coughing, swearing at driver Subhakar Khandka, 32, and seizing his phone sparked widespread outrage when it was posted on Twitter on March 9.

The shocking clip, which has since been viewed more than 3 million times, shows Kimia saying “f*** the mask,” before reaching forward to grab Mr Khandka’s phone and yelling: “What you gonna do?”

She continues to scream and swear at him, while sitting beside her two friends in the back of the car, as he tells her: “You don’t touch my property. You didn’t buy it, I bought it, I worked hard for it.”

Kimiai turned herself in “peacefully” to authorities in San Francisco on Sunday night, according to her lawyer.

Attorney Seth Morris told local news station KPIX5 that she had reported to the city’s jail of her own volition at around 7 pm that night after her “surrender” was coordinated with the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD).

“Ms. Kimiai acted appropriately and responsibly when she found out she had a warrant for her arrest, coordinating her peaceful surrender through her legal counsel and the SFPD,” Mr Morris said in a statement.

She faces charges of robbery, assault and battery, with her bond set at $75,000, according to jail records.

Fellow rider Malaysia King, also 24, has also been arrested for her aggression towards Mr Khandka.

In the video, she can also be seen coughing, shouting and laughing and the 32-year-old as he attempts to defend himself against his unruly passengers.

After the camera stopped, King allegedly reached into the window and sprayed what is believed to have been pepper spray into the car.

She was arrested on March 11 on a number of charges for assault with a caustic chemical, assault and battery. The third suspect has not yet been identified.

Mr Khadka later said in an interview that Kimiai “started taunting me, cursing me, questioning me about being a man”.

He added: “The ladies were even talking about shooting me, calling their cousins to shoot me. They were making fun of my race."

All this, he said, because he had pulled over and asked all three passengers to wear their masks.

A GoFundMe page has since been set up for Mr Khandka to support him during time off work, as he works through his trauma from the ordeal.

Uber handed him a meagre $120 in compensation for the incident. The online fundraiser has so far raised more than $96,000.

More: Should I be double masking?

The Conversation (0)