Earlier this month, a video on social media went viral of two police officers forcibly pushing over 75-year-old Buffalo resident Martin Gugino, leaving him bleeding and seemingly unconscious.

Now Gugino’s lawyers say he’s suffered a fractured skull and hasn’t been able to walk since the incident.

According to a statement provided to CNN on Monday, Gugino's attorney Kelly Zarcone said:

I am not at liberty to elaborate at this time other than to confirm that his skull was fractured. While he is not able to walk yet, we were able to have a short conversation before he became too tired.

He is appreciative of all of the concern about him but he is still focused on the issues rather than himself.

Gugino wanted to stress that the focus shouldn’t be on him right now, according to Zacone:

I think it's very unnecessary to focus on me. There are plenty of other things to think about besides me.

Unfortunately, Trump had other ideas when he tweeted his conspiracy theory about the elderly protester being an ‘ANTIFA provocateur’ (anti-fascist) last week:

After the incident, police initially released a statement claiming that Gugino tripped and fell, but after videos circulated widely of the incident, they amended their statement and suspended the officers without pay, opening an investigation.

57 of the police officers’ colleagues then resigned in protest and the officers deny any wrongdoing.

Gugino’s lawyer said doctors don’t expect to see “much change at all this week” in his condition.

Please log in or register to upvote this article
The Conversation (0)