These pictures show the devastation of Boko Haram's deadliest attack yet

Dina Rickman@dinarickman
Thursday 15 January 2015 09:50
news

Boko Haram militants have razed two towns in Nigeria in what Amnesty International describe as their "deadliest" assault yet.

It is not known how many people were killed in the twin attacks on Baga and Doron Baga.

Amnesty International researcher Daniel Eyre says so far displaced residents have not been "able to return to bury the dead let alone count their number". On Tuesday Nigeria’s defence ministry estimated the death toll was at 150 but some have reported up to 2,000 people could have been killed.

Both towns are small but densely populated: Baga is two kilometres squared and Doron Baga is four kilometres squared. These satellite images show the extent of the devastation in north-east Nigeria by Boko Haram; red demonstrates healthy vegetation while dark colours are burned areas.

They killed so many people. I saw maybe around 100 killed at that time in Baga. I ran to the bush. As we were running, they were shooting and killing.

  • A man in his fifties on the Boko Haram assault in Baga

In the attack Boko Haram even shot at a woman in labour. A witness told Amnesty "half of the baby boy is out and she died like this."

“These detailed images show devastation of catastrophic proportions in two towns, one of which was almost wiped off the map in the space of four days," Amnesty's Eyre said. "These satellite images combined with graphic testimonies a picture of what is likely to be Boko Haram’s deadliest attack ever is becoming clearer."

More: Boko Haram and other news you may have missed during the Paris attacks

Trending