Bookmark this page in anticipation of the next night you spend tossing and turning.
American based sleep expert Dr Andrew Weil has devised a breathing technique which, once mastered, can put you to sleep in under 60 seconds.
You have to perform the 4-7-8 technique twice a day for 60 days to get it right, but it requires no equipment and can be done wherever you are. According to Dr Weil, the more you practice the more relaxing it is and it can also be done to help deal with anger.
While learning it, it's best to sit with your back straight. The steps are:
1) Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound
2) Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four
3) Hold your breath for a count of seven
4) Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
5) This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.