Woman’s wedgie was so bad she ended up in hospital with sepsis

Woman’s wedgie was so bad she ended up in hospital with sepsis

A woman’s date outfit turned into a disaster when she ended up getting rushed into hospital after developing the life-threatening infection cellulitis sepsis that was caused by jean shorts giving her a wedgie.

TikToker Sam (@imtoooldtobeonthis) explained to Buzzfeed she went on a “full day-date” with a guy and soon realised she was wearing “very uncomfortable clothes,” though she decided to ignore it and enjoy her time.

But problems soon arose the next day when she felt “very sore” due to the chaffing and began “feeling ill - just not 100 per cent.”

“That night, I noticed that I had a large bump where the chafing had occurred, and as time went on, it started becoming more painful. The pain was isolated to one sport and it felt like a throbbing, stabbing pain,” Sam told the same publication.


#greenscreen moral of the story: tight shorts are OUT! #CurameChoreo #fypシ #storytime #ShowYourGlow #fyp #PepsiApplePieChallenge

After getting the area checked over by a doctor a couple of days later, Sam was rushed to the emergency room by her mum where she discovered her swelling and pain was caused by her developing cellulitis - a bacterial skin infection that can become deadly if left untreated.

Sign up to our new free Indy100 weekly newsletter

Things went from bad to worse for the TikToker as her cellulitis had progressed to septic shock which can also be deadly as it can cause organ failure and permanent tissue damage.

“I was shivering, very breathless, could not walk and had extreme body aches,” Sam said. “They admitted me to the ICU, and that’s when I realized this was a bit more serious than I had anticipated.”

To combat the infection, doctors were contemplating at one point whether to remove the infected area of Sam’s bottom during debridement surgery but decided to hold off and see if Sam could fight off the infection herself.

Fortunately, she did just that and after four days of being treated in the ICU with antibiotics, the 25-year-old made a full recovery- and now Sam has one heck of a story to tell.

It seems viewers on TikTok agree, after a video of her explaining her story (which included a funny selfie her mum took of herself with Sam who was lying on the hospital bed) went viral with 8.1m views and 1.3m likes, along with thousands of humorous comments.

One person wrote: “No but why does your mom look so happy in the selfie while you’re lying in a hospital bed.”

“Moral of the story: pick ya wedgies,” another person said.

Someone else added: “That picture is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen I’m so sorry.”

“No this literally happened to me like I’m in the hospital right now,” a fourth person replied.

After a number of comments asking to see the outfit that caused deadly infection, Sam revealed in a follow-up TikTok what she wore.


Reply to @alyssakathryn1 #greenscreen THE SHORTS. Pls don’t judge me for how I dressed in 2017 hahahah

“I’m happy I made the TikTok, and although it’s extremely scary to have one of the most embarrassing things that has ever happened to me on the internet, it reminds people that we’re all human and experience weird stuff, and it’s nothing to be ashamed of,” Sam said.

Although their date caused the unexpected event, Sam also said she and her boyfriend have been together three years since the chafing situation.

The Conversation (0)