A map is trending on Reddit showing the percentage of each country’s population that is made up of refugees.
The map surfaced when the Trump Administration announced the president's executive action, banning refugees from seven 'Muslim majority countries' for 90 days has come into effect.
The data comes from The UN Refugee Agency’s Statistical Yearbook. The publication shows that, in 2014:
- 59.5 million people were forcible displaced worldwide due to persecution, conflict, generalised violence or human rights violations
- 14.4 million were refugees
- 1.8 million were asylum-seekers
- 13.9 million people fled due to conflict or persecution alone
- 42,500 people leaving their homes to find safety elsewhere every day
The map shows that the proportion of refugees were:
- 20.6 per cent in the Middle East and North Africa
- 5.3 per cent in the Americas
- 26.8 per cent in Asia and the Pacific
- 25.7 per cent in sub-Saharan Africa
- 21.6 per cent in Europe
A total of 53 per cent of refugees worldwide came from just three countries: the Syrian Arab Republic (3.88 million), Afghanistan (2.59 million), and Somalia (1.11 million)