Fox News links Prince Philip’s death to Meghan and Harry and people are appalled

Sandra Salathe
Friday 09 April 2021 14:20
news

Leave it to Fox News to try to turn a tragedy into a scandal.

Following the death of Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, Prince Philip, 99, on Friday morning, Fox & Friends immediately pointed the finger of blame at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

Host Brian Kilmeade decided to link the Duke of Edinburgh’s death to Harry and Meghan’s recent interview with Oprah Winfrey using evidence-free speculation.

The interview, which aired last month on CBS, contained distressing allegations of racism and cruel treatment towards Meghan by members of the royal family.

During the 90-minute special, both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex claimed an unnamed senior member of the royal family questioned the skin color of their 22-month-old son Archie while Megan was pregnant with him. Meghan and Harry claimed there were “concerns and conversations about how dark [Archie’s] skin might be when he’s born.”

“There are reports that [Philip] was enraged after the interview and the fallout from the interview with Oprah Winfrey, so here he is trying to recover and he’s hit with that,” Kilmeade said.

People reacting to Fox News’ link were outraged - but some weren’t surprised they’d jump to that conclusion.

Kilmeade followed up by quoting Piers Morgan, who exited Good Morning Britain after attacking the integrity of the Duchess of Sussex after revealing her struggles with mental health. While speaking with Oprah, Megan revealed she suffered from suicidal thoughts after marrying into the British royal family.

“Piers Morgan was saying on his morning show, which he famously walked off of, is like ‘Really? Your grandfather is in the hospital, you know he’s not doing well, is this really the time you have to put out this interview?’ Evidently, it definitely added to his stress,” Kilmeade said.

Prince Phillip returned to Windsor Castle on March 16, after spending a month in the hospital for an unspecified infection.

Shortly after his death, Buckingham Palace released a statement saying: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.”

Trending