Man eats world's hottest chili, burns hole in his throat

Harriet Marsden@harriet1marsden
Monday 17 October 2016 14:45
news
Picture:(istock / subinpumsom)

We all know that being ghosted is brutal.

But the ghost pepper, known as the bhut jolokia, is the most brutal of them all. One of the hottest chili peppers in the world, it's more than twice as strong as a habanero pepper, and three times as strong as a cayenne.

And this man ate a handburger filled with ghost pepper puree.

Loading....

Surprising no one, the man was admitted to hospital after violent vomiting and severe abdominal pain.

But what did come as a surprise to the doctors was the 2 and a half centimetre hole burnt in his oesophagus.

The man was forced to undergo emergency surgery, and spent nearly a month in hospital.

Loading....

According to the Journal of Emergency Medicine, the condition is known as Boerhaave syndrome, is caused by excessive vomiting and has a high morality rate.

They report that a 47-year-old man presented with severe abdominal and chest pain "after eating ghost peppers as part of a contest".

They also included a warning:

This case serves as an important reminder of a potentially life-threatening surgical emergency initially interpreted as discomfort after a large spicy meal.

More: This woman didn't want to be kissed on live TV. The presenter decided to kiss her breast instead

More: This is the world's only brown panda

Trending