He previously pled guilty in two federal investigations, one count of lying to Congress in the Robert Mueller probe, charges of bank and tax fraud, and campaign finance violations.
Cohen is set to testify later today in the second round of hearings.
So what will he be talking about when it comes to president Trump?
In his opening statement provided to Politico in which he called the American president a “racist, conman [and[ cheat,” he will be presenting the following to the committee:
1. He will present evidence that suggests Donald Trump paid him for “hush money” payments he made to cover up his affair with an adult film star
This so-called evidence will come in the form of a copy of a cheque Trump wrote “from his personal bank account” to reimburse Cohen for money he paid out to cover up the president’s affair and prevent damage to his campaign.
2. Copies of financial statements for 2011-2013 he gave to banking institutions
This includes Deutsche Bank.
3. He will present a copy of an article with Trump's handwriting which reported on an auction of a portrait of himself
Mueller claims Trump “arranged for the bidder ahead of time and then reimbursed the bidder from the account of his non-profit charitable foundation.”
4. He will provide evidence that he threatened education institutions on Trump's direction.
Cohen will present letters he wrote “at Mr Trump’s direction that threatened his high school, colleges, and the College Board not to release his grades or SAT scores."
5. Cohen will reveal instances of alleged racist language used by Trump
He will offer lawmakers new information about Trump’s private affairs, and The Times reported Cohen is “prepared to describe Mr Trump making racist statements as well as lying or cheating in business.”
In response to Cohen’s comments, Trump blew up on Twitter, writing:
Michael Cohen was one of many lawyers who represented me (unfortunately). He had other clients also. He was just disbarred by the State Supreme Court for lying & fraud. He did bad things unrelated to Trump. He is lying in order to reduce his prison time. Using Crooked’s lawyer!
Cohen will reveal a host of allegations against Trump, and will tell lawmakers about the president’s alleged racist language and collusion with Russia.