A Christmas Day security scare happened at Windsor Castle, where the Queen is currently staying over the holidays.

Since the incident - in which the Queen was unharmed - new clues have emerged, including a video of the suspect, who is currently in custody.

It is the first Christmas for the Queen since her husband, Prince Philip, died at the age of 99.

Here’s everything we know about the incident so far. We’ll keep it updated with the latest breaking lines.

What happened?

A man was arrested within the grounds of Windsor Castle on Christmas Day. He was carrying a crossbow, police say, and was arrested for trespassing and possessing an offensive weapon.

Was the Queen at home?

Yes, her majesty was in residence, after she cancelled plans to celebrate at Sandringham.

How quickly was the suspect apprehended?

Security alarms were triggered within moments of him entering the grounds of the castle, and he was detained before he could enter any buildings.

Is he still in custody?

Yes. After being taken into custody he undertook a mental health assessment and was sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

The Met Police added: “He remains in the care of medical professionals.”

Are there any further clues?

Video footage obtained by The Sun allegedly shows the man holding a black crossbow while making threats into the camera using a distorted voice.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Following the man’s arrest, detectives are assessing the contents of a video.”

What did he say?

In the clip, he can be heard saying: “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for what I’ve done and what I will do. I will attempt to assassinate Elizabeth, Queen of the Royal Family.

“This is revenge for those who have died in the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

The Queen pictured during her annual Christmas broadcast, alongside a framed photo of her late husband Philip Getty Images

“It is also revenge for those who have been killed, humiliated and discriminated on because of their race. I’m an Indian Sikh, a Sith.”

What is the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?

Also known as the  Amritsar massacre, it took place on 13 April 1919.

A large peaceful crowd had gathered to protest against the arrest of pro-Indian independence leaders.

In response, the British Brigadier-GeneralR. E. H. Dyer surrounded the Bagh with his soldiers. He then ordered his troops to open fire on the crowd, and estimates of those killed vary between 379 and 1500+ people.

Where and when was the video first posted?

According to The Sun, the pre-recorded clip was uploaded to Snapchat at 8.06am on Christmas Day, less than half an hour before the man was arrested by police.

Has the suspect’s family said anything?

Yes. His father told MailOnline:“Something’s gone horribly wrong with our son and we are trying to figure out what.

“We’ve not had a chance to speak to him but are trying to get him the help he needs.

The Queen greeting the Sultan of Oman, Sultan Haitham bin Tariq, during an audience at Windsor Castle on December 15, one of her most recent engagements POOL/AFP via Getty Images

“From our perspective, we are going through a difficult time. We are trying to resolve this issue and it’s not easy.”

Have the police turned their attention to his home?

Yes, the police searched the family’s home in Southampton.

One neighbour told The Sun: “There was a big commotion with all the police around and it caused some concern, especially as it was Christmas Day.

Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter

“The family keep themselves to themselves, like the rest of the estate, but we know there’s a teenage lad who lives there with his mum and dad. The police didn’t leave the estate until late at night.”

How serious was the latest threat?

Retired chief superintendent Dai Davies, the former head of royal protection at Scotland Yard, called it a ‘potentially tragic threat’.

He told MailOnline: “Since the time of George III, 99 per cent of attacks against members of the Royal Family have involved a fixated person, or stalker. And the news that a crossbow was involved actually scares me. They will go through a windscreen.

“And in all my years of crime and catching criminals, it is rare for crossbows to be used for criminal purposes.

“Anyone knowing the royals were in residence and having a fair idea of their comings and goings, could pose a very real and potentially tragic threat with something like that.”

What’s happened since?

Home Secretary Priti Patel has ordered a review of the current rules surrounding crossbow ownership. A Home Office spokesperson said in a statement the department has been instructed to look at possible ways to “strengthen controls” on the weapons.

“Crossbows are subject to controls and legislation is in place to deal with those who use them as a weapon,” the spokesperson said.

“At the Home Secretary’s request, we are considering options to strengthen controls on crossbows. Work on this has been ongoing throughout the year, and we keep all relevant laws under review to maintain public safety.”

Additional reporting by PA.

Please log in or register to upvote this article
The Conversation (0)