Two separate women have accused Sex and the City actor Chris Noth of sexual assault.

The 67-year-old recently returned to screens as Carrie Bradshaw’s late partner, Mr Big. It is said that the momentum of the SATC spinoff And Just Like That...  “set off something” in one of the alleged victims, prompting her to come forward.

The two women—who have been given pseudonyms Zoe and Lily—alleged that Noth assaulted them in his apartment in Los Angeles and New York City, respectively.

Noth has dismissed the allegations as “categorically false.”

Sign up to our new free Indy100 weekly newsletter

Here’s what we know:

Who is Chris Noth?

Chris Noth, 67, is an American actor known for his TV roles as an NYPD detective, Mike Logan on Law & Order, Big on Sex and the City and Peter Florrick on The Good Wife.

He recently made a brief appearance on the SATC spinoff, And Just Like That... before being killed off in the debut episode.

The actor has been married to actress Tara Wilson since 2012. The pair have two children together, Orion, 13, and Keats, 1.

What have the two women alleged?

The two women reached out to The Hollywood Reporter – separately and months apart – claiming that Noth’s TV reprisal triggered painful memories of sexual assault.

One woman, given the pseudonym Zoe, said that she was 22 and working for a high-profile firm visited by Noth and other celebrities for business.

She claims that Noth had assaulted her in his Los Angeles apartment in 2004.

“Seeing that he was reprising his role in Sex and the City set off something in me,” Zoe told the news outlet.

Noth would reportedly leave voicemails on her phone at her entry-level job that were “kind of flirty”. Zoe then accepted an invitation to his West Hollywood place, where she was allegedly assaulted.

Another woman, given the pseudonym Lily, was 25 and working as a waitress in the VIP section of a New York nightclub when she met Noth in 2015.

“He was hitting on me, for sure. I was flattered. I knew he was married, which is shameful of me to admit,” she told THR.

She claims he assaulted her in his New York apartment.

A Hollywood Reporter correspondent claimed to have seen several text messages, allegedly between Noth and Lily, between March and April 2015.

In one, Noth allegedly said: “By the way I have to ask did you enjoy our night last week. I thought it was a lot of fun but I wasn’t quite sure how you felt.”

Lily replied: “Hmm…I certainly enjoyed your company. Great conversation. Not to go into specifics over text message, but I did feel slightly used…”

What has Chris Noth said about the claims?

Noth has said the accusations, made by two different women, are “categorically false”.

A statement from Noth said: “The accusations against me made by individuals I met years, even decades, ago are categorically false.

“These stories could’ve been from 30 years ago or 30 days ago — no always means no — that is a line I did not cross.

“The encounters were consensual.

“It’s difficult not to question the timing of these stories coming out. I don’t know for certain why they are surfacing now, but I do know this: I did not assault these women.”

Will there be a police investigation?

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has said there is no current investigation into allegations of sexual assault made against Noth.

Officer Drake Madison of the LAPD confirmed that no report had been filed despite the allegations.

“There is no record of a report being filed at this time,” he told the PA news agency.

“Without a report, there is no investigation.”

What else has happened since allegations emerged?

Peloton ended its advertising campaign starring Noth following the allegations on Thursday.

Mr Big died in the debut episode of And Just Like That… after completing a Peloton spinning class. In response, the exercise company created an advert featuring the 67-year-old actor, Peloton fitness instructor Jess King, and Ryan Reynolds as narrator.

In a statement, Peloton said: “Every single sexual assault accusation must be taken seriously.

“We were unaware of these allegations when we featured Chris Noth in our response to HBO’s reboot.

“As we seek to learn more, we have stopped promoting this video and archived related social posts.”

It is understood that Reynolds and King have also deleted the video from their social media accounts.

Please log in or register to upvote this article
The Conversation (0)