David Cameron says he's too busy to sue over the dead pig claims

Matthew Champion@matthewchampion
Monday 28 September 2015 10:50
news

David Cameron has said he doesn't have time to take legal action against what he says are false claims made about him and a dead pig.

The prime minister has spoken publicly for the first time about the allegations made in an unauthorised biography - Call Me Dave - by former Tory donor Lord Ashcroft and journalist Isabel Oakeshott.

In an anecdote that set the internet alight last week, the book claims that Cameron, while at an initiation ceremony for a university society at Oxford, put "a private part of his anatomy" in a dead pig's mouth.

Downing Street said that it would not "dignify" the story with a response, but speaking to reporters on a flight to New York, Cameron said:

I can see why the book was written and I think everyone can see straight through it. As for the specific issue raised, a very specific denial was made a week ago and I've nothing to add to that.

Speaking to Sky News upon landing, the prime minister elaborated slightly, saying he had no plans to sue:

No, I'm too busy running the country taking decisions, getting on with work.

If you do a job like this, you do get people who have agendas and write books and write articles and write all sorts of things. The most important thing is not to let it bother you and get on with the job.

More: The Russian embassy is trolling David Cameron over pig gate

Trending