Local police were called just before 5am local time after two males were spotted carrying what was reported to be the stolen suit, which was dumped back at the circus next to an electricity box.
Officers conducted a search of the nearby area with police dogs, but the two individuals were not found.
There was, however, a note left in the beak by the robbers – who called themselves ‘The Big Bird Bandits’ - which read: “We are so sorry!!! We had no idea what we were doing, or what our actions would cause.
“We were just having a rough time and were trying to cheer ourselfs [sic] up. We had a great time with Mr. Bird, he’s a great guy and no harm came to our friend.
- Dad furious after teacher ‘cut his daughter’s hair without permission’
- Bar’s ‘disrespectful’ description of woman on her receipt goes viral
- Woman invites every guy she’s matched with on Hinge to the same date
- Here’s how celebrities and the public reacted to Derek Chauvin’s guilty verdict in George Floyd murder
- Prince William’s chat with Harry during Prince Philip’s funeral has apparently been revealed by lipreaders
“Sorry to be such a big birden!”
The theft took place overnight between Sunday and Monday, and South Australian Police confirmed in a press release that the Sesame Street character “appears to be intact” and has been handed back to his rightful owners.
“The suspects, if apprehended, could face one count of theft… two counts of theft…” the force joked.
Twitter users also saw the funny side, with some mocking the way the costume was slumped against the electricity box:
Others, naturally, madeSesame Street references:
And there was praise for the thieves’ note, too:
What utter Muppets…