Richard Madeley is leaving I’m A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here as his visit to hospital means he broke the show’s “Covid bubble”.

The 65-year-old presenter had been taken to hospital overnight after a “medical emergency” on the set of the show in Wales. He was tended to by an on-site medical team before being admitted to hospital as a precaution.

Posting an update to Instagram this afternoon, he said he is “absolutely fine” but is “gutted” to be leaving his campmates.

He wrote: “I started to feel briefly unwell in the small hours of the morning and was taken to hospital as a precaution. By leaving the camp, I had consequently broken the Covid ‘bubble’ and as such I’ve had to leave the castle and all the wonderful celebs that remain in the camp.

“Obviously I’m gutted to be leaving so soon but the safety of all the campmates is the number one priority. I’m incredibly excited to watch their journey continue…even more so at the prospect of being somewhere a little warmer than Gwrych Castle.

He concluded: “Thank you to everyone who supported me on my brief but completely unforgettable adventure – I’ve made some great friends and honestly had the time of my life.”

Last night’s episode of the hugely popular programme saw Madeley slide head first into a sewer of rotten fruit and vegetables during a trial called Castle Kitchen Nightmares. The presenter hunted for 10 stars in a room “full of castle critters” as rotten food was dumped on him from above.

After the news broke of Madeley falling ill this morning, people took to Twitter to share their well-wishes:

Madeley is one of 12 contestants taking part in this year’s series at Gwrych Castle in North Wales.

An ITV spokesman said: “Richard was unwell in the early hours and was immediately seen by our on-site medical team.

“He’s since been taken to hospital as a precaution, the health and safety of our campmates is our priority.”

The Welsh Ambulance Service confirmed that they were called at 5:43am this morning following reports of a “medical emergency” at Gwrych Castle.

A spokeswoman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 05.43am this morning, Thursday 25 November 2021, to reports of a medical emergency at Gwrych Castle in Abergele, Conwy.

“We sent a paramedic in a rapid response car and an emergency ambulance to the scene, and one patient was taken to hospital.”

Indy100 has contacted ITV for comment.

Additional reporting by PA.

Please log in or register to upvote this article
The Conversation (0)