The Empire actor attended a court hearing in Chicago on Tuesday, where a judge reportedly dismissed the case. Mr Smollett pleaded not guilty to 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly lying to the police, however, his attorneys maintained that the actor had been attacked by two unknown individuals.
The actor was accused of paying brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo to attack him on January 29 outside his apartment at around 2am as he walked home from a Subway sandwich shop.
He said he didn't recognise the attackers, but that they called him a 'n*****', a 'f*****' and shouted: 'This is MAGA country!'
His attorneys released a joint statement regards his acquittal:
He was a victim who was villified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.
Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. The entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion.
Smollett himself also addressed the findings:
I have been truthful and consistent in my statement since day one.
I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I've been accused of. This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life.
Needless to say, people on Twitter had a range of reactions to the findings.
Some said he deserved an apology.
So #JussieSmollett is innocent. You’d better start sending him your apologies.