The American people have spoken. According to a new poll, at least 46% of Americans would support Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson running for president.
Published April 6 on Piplsay, the poll takes a deep dive into public opinion surrounding political activism within Hollywood, with 63% of Americans believing Hollywood stars have the potential to be great politicians with ‘the right attitude and support staff’.
Conducted among 30,138 US adults aged 18-years and older, 81% of participants believed celebrity opinions and endorsements influence public opinion. In the past, Johnson has alluded to making a bid for the White House in 2024, ‘if that’s what the people wanted’.
“I would consider a presidential run in the future if that’s what the people wanted. Truly I mean that, and I’m not flippant in any way with my answer. That would be up to the people,” Johnson told USA Today in February.
[…] So I would wait, and I would listen. I would have my finger on the pulse, my ear to the ground.”
Speculation surround Johnson’s bid for office first began in 2016, when an op-ed in The Washington Post was released regarding his odds. Johnson also spoke with Vanity Fair in 2018, saying he would considerer running for office in 2020. Johnson later decided against it.
- Brexiteers’ dismissive claims about expats in Spain have aged terribly
- Terrifying footage captures moment giant lizard destroys Thai supermarket
- Piers Morgan tried to criticise The Wire and it didn’t go well
- Waitress quits on the spot after customer refuses to put on a mask in a restaurant
- Chinese takeaway goes viral for savage responses to customers
“It’s a position that requires years of hard work and experience to learn the skills,” he told the publication.
If former President Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger are anything to go by, a former career in Hollywood can either prove beneficial - or detrimental. Depends who you ask.
In addition, the poll found that age plays a significant role within the statistics, with 40% of Millennials supporting both McConaughey and Johnson, as compared to 37% of Gen Xers and 23% of Gen Zers. Furthermore, 30% of Americans would like to see Angelina Jolie run for president, with 22% preferring Tom Hanks. Below is a complete list of contenders from the poll. Who would you choose?
- Angelina Jolie: 30% of Americans favor
- Oprah: 27% of Americans favor
- Tom Hanks: 22% of Americans favor
- Will Smith: 21% of Americans favor
- George Clooney: 17% of Americans favor
- Leonardo DiCaprio: 13% of Americans favor
- Dolly Parton: 12% of Americans favor
- Harrison Ford: 10% of Americans favor
- Ellen DeGeneres: 9% of Americans favor
- Meryl Streep: 9% of Americans favor
- Robert Downey Jr.: 9% of Americans favor
- Robert De Niro: 8% of Americans favor
- Helen Mirren: 7% of Americans favor
- Jane Fonda: 6% of Americans favor