CNN+ is shutting down less than a month after ill-fated launch
CNN+ is shutting down their new subscription streaming service following reports that said they were struggling to attract viewers - and people are comparing it to the doomed app Quibi.
On Thursday (21 April), CNN and Warner Bros. Discovery announced that CNN+ will end the subscription service on April 30 - nearly a month after the launch.
The company said customers would be able to get refunds of their subscription fees adieu to the closure.
With the news, Andrew Morse, the service's chief exec, EVP and Chief Digital Officer of CNN Worldwide and Head of CNN+, is also leaving the company after a transitional period.
"This is not a decision about quality; we appreciate all of the work, ambition and creativity that went into building CNN+, an organization with terrific talent and compelling programming. But our customers and CNN will be best served with a simpler streaming choice," said Chris Licht, the Chairman and CEO of CNN Worldwide, in a statement about the closure.
In a report from CNBC, fewer than 10,000 people were using the service on a daily basis after its first two weeks.
The company made the risky bet that, in the streaming landscape, people would pay a subscription for on-demand and live news programming and other content - which includes a thousand plus hours of on-demand shows and CNN+ originals.
The service was charging $5.99 a month or $59.99 annually. People took to Twitter to draw comparisons of CNN+'s upcoming closure to Quibi's shutdown.
One wrote: "CNN+ is definitely the Quibi of 2022."
Another added: "Hundreds of hard-working, idealistic journalists are being hit with the sobering limitations of mass audience interest in new offerings.I feel for you all.CNN+ now, BNC last month, Quibi last year. Plus local newsrooms everywhere are shrinking. What does this tell us?"
Someone else who made a joke about a potential show in mind that they would like to broadcast wrote: "Quibi, Netflix and CNN+ all have one thing in common: none of them have contacted me about developing and producing "Willy," a 30-minute autofictional dramedy about a magazine editor figuring out life, love and everything in between. And the pattern is striking…"
Check out other reactions to the closure below.
Things that lasted longer than CNN+:\n\n- Quibi\n- Tom Brady's retirement\n- Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries' marriage\n- The war in Grenada\n- Kony 2012\n- William Henry Harrison's presidency\n- The time it takes to watch every episode of Game of Thrones\n- The lifespan of a Dragonfly
feel horrible for the CNN+ folks, especially for the producers and behind the scenes folks who will be hit the hardest. as a veteran of two failed attempts at a news for streaming (quibi and paramount+), I obviously don't have the answers but do have a few thoughts