In a video posted by Shirley Raines, she demonstrates a way to fashion a toilet out of a bucket, a garbage bag, cat litter, a sealable bag and a portable toilet seat and lid.
The post highlighted the need for such makeshift contraptions. In the comments, discussion around the treatment of the homeless and what the country’s government is doing to help house them began.
One person wrote: “The fact that these need to be made is heartbreaking cuz the government has enough money to give them homes.”
- Woman speechless after hairdresser edits selfie of her new hairstyle
- Heartbreaking picture shows Queen sitting alone ahead of Philip’s funeral – here’s how the Internet reacted
- Neighbour’s note urging woman to dump ‘whiny’ boyfriend sparks domestic abuse debate
- The 18 best memes and reactions as M&S declares war on Aldi over Colin the Caterpillar
- Reddit just realized that Jerry Seinfeld’s TV apartment defies the laws of science
Meanwhile, another said: “We are doing everything but fixing the actual problem…”
Some people took the opportunity to point out the money that the government spends on sectors such as policing and the military.
Other users in the comments were disappointed with some who appeared to care more about the amount of plastic being used than they are able homeless people having somewhere to use the bathroom.
In another tweet, Raines explained that the city had removed all of the portable toilets for the homeless. It meant that between the hours of 6pm and 6am, the homeless have nowhere to use the bathroom.
The video brought into focus the issues faced by the homeless, with many questioning why when so many homes stand vacant.
The work Raines does is wonderful, but it is equally tragic that there is a need for it in the first place.