The 41-year-old took aim at the government over the continued scandal surrounding free school meals for children during holidays, which has seen numerous u-turns and caused widespread outrage during the last 12 months.
After completing his performance on Sunday evening, presenter Phillip Schofield asked Hound if he ever imagined that he would be here a year ago. An emotional Hound responded by flipping the question on its head and taking aim at the Tory government over the continued controversy.
He said, “Mate, we live in a world where people we elect don't want to feed hungry children, so this is the least mad thing that's happened to me in a long time!”
Just moments after Hound said this, his name was trending online with many people praising his bold comments and some even hoping that he will now go on to win the contest.
Rufus Hound shaming the government on #dancingonice 👏👏
The issue of free school meals began last summer when footballer Marcus Rashford started a campaign to help families who were struggling to feed their kids who were out of school because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The government did eventually decide to offer vouchers to families that would help put food on the table but voted against the same scheme come autumn 2020 with one MP claiming that that vouchers had been exchanged in ‘crack dens and brothels.’
Further disgust erupted earlier this month when images of inadequate food parcels that were distributed by the government were shared over social media, leading even Boris Johnson to call what had happened a “disgrace” despite the parcles following the government’s own guidelines.