What occurred next was totally unexpected as a video posted on an Instagram account run by@justadelaidethings showed a man approach Morrison and put his middle finger up, right in front of his face, before walking off.
The Prime Minister clearly saw the gesture but played it off. He completely ignored what had just happened and carried on with his speech.
It comes as the prime minister’s approval ratings have taken a hit after backlash against his handling of sexual abuse allegations.
- Woman speechless after hairdresser edits selfie of her new hairstyle
- Heartbreaking picture shows Queen sitting alone ahead of Philip’s funeral – here’s how the Internet reacted
- Neighbour’s note urging woman to dump ‘whiny’ boyfriend sparks domestic abuse debate
- The 18 best memes and reactions as M&S declares war on Aldi over Colin the Caterpillar
- Reddit just realized that Jerry Seinfeld’s TV apartment defies the laws of science
The video, captioned, “Prime Minister ScoMo received a warm welcome at the Clare Garden Festival,” received a mixed reaction online.
Some supported the stranger’s actions, while others called the incident “completely disrespectful”.
One Instagram user wrote: “He [Morrison] treats Australians with no respect. He deserves no respect. Sooner he’s gone the better.”
Others agreed. One person said “I could watch this all day,” while another wrote: “How Australia thinks of you ScoMo.”
Another user referenced the phrase “Je suis Charlie” that was used in France following a shooting at the magazine offices of Charlie Hebdo and that has been adopted by supporters of freedom of speech. They wrote, “Je suis Middle Finger Man”.
Some condemned the actions, as one user commented: “Irrespective of your political persuasion, this is just grubby and completely disrespectful”.
Another said: “Seriously, there are far more civilised ways to vocalise your dislike of a politician. This is just a bogan being untasteful.”